Guest Article Written by Bec Jakstas, Founder of Stass & Co
Dry body brushing my skin is one of my favourite morning rituals. I get asked a lot about the best technique to use. Dry body brushing is one of those wonderfully easy practices to invigorate your body, stimulate the lymphatic system and gives you smooth, brighter, glowing skin.
SIX SIMPLE AND EFFECTIVE STEPS FOR DRY BRUSHING YOUR SKIN:
1. Use a Brush With Plant Based Bristles
After testing out many different body brushes over the years, I have found using a brush with natural plant based bristles such as sisal from the agave plant is the most effective for invigorating the skin. These bristles provide the best exfoliation and stimulation for your skin. They are the highest quality, long lasting and don’t scratch the skin.
2. Listen To Your Body & Find Your Perfect Brushing Time
You can dry body brush anytime of the day before bathing. First thing in the morning is especially invigorating, giving you a boost for the day ahead. If you are brushing in the evening you can use a more gentle stroke; which can result into beautiful meditative self-care ritual.
3. Brush With Your Lymphatic System
Take three to five minutes for this wonderful practice. Begin brushing by starting at your feet and moving in long sweeping motions toward your heart as this moves with the flow lymphatic system. Use firm, small strokes upwards, several times in each area:
- Begin sweeping your feet, starting with the soles of your feet as this area has many little nerve endings that need to be stimulated
- Continue brushing up your legs
- Proceed to your hands moving up your arms
- From your neck stroke down towards your heart
- Use circular clockwise strokes on your abdomen - This follows the path of your colon and helps stimulate elimination
- Brush upwards from your lower back and down from your neck
4. Be Conscious Of Body Brushing Pressure On Your Skin
Use light pressure on areas where the skin is softer and more pressure on those harder areas. Take care of the more sensitive areas of the body such as your chest, breasts and stomach. A slight pinkish colour may occur at first on your skin due to increased blood circulation. This is normal and shows that your skin brushing is working. Over time your body adjusts and it starts the crave the sensation.
5. Take A Cool Shower After Brushing
After you have brushed your entire body take a cool shower, I like to alternate between hot and cold to keep stimulating blood circulation.
6. Finish With A Self-love Skin Routine
After you have dried off use an organic sweet almond, sesame or coconut oil on you skin with an invigorating essential oil blend to keep you uplifted and your body glowing.
You will feel light, energised and your skin will be glowing. Your body will love you for it!